Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010 out of a love of lists. It recently changed to That Artsy Reader Girl and that’s where you can find the topics for each Tuesday.
This week’s topic is:
Books That Surprised Me (in a good or bad way)
This is quite a good topic! I have some books, majority being ones that surprised me in a good way and that I would really like to rave about again. I’ll be talking about 10 books.
First I have 6 books I absolutely loved and that definitely surprised me in a good way, and those I highly recommend and would want you all to read.
Then I have 4 more books. The first two I liked, but it surprised me still in a not so great way since I was hoping to love them. And the last 2 are books I really didn’t like, and that are highly recommended by many reviewers.
Let me know in the comments what are some of the books that surprised you! Are any of these on your list or have you read any of them?
10 Books That Surprised Me
- It Ends With Us – Colleen Hoover is an author I’ve been meaning to try for quite a long time. Last month I finally read this one and I can’t believe I didn’t read this sooner! I thought it was just going to be a romance book, but it’s so much more than that! I absolutely loved it!
- Noteworthy – This is a book I loved with all my heart and I was expecting to feel meh about it. I don’t know much about a cappella and that’s why I wasn’t expecting to fall so deeply in love with it. But this was such an amazing fun read!
- The Martian – This was another unexpected one. I gave this book 4 stars, which is quite high since I’m not a sci-fi fan at all. But this was such a tense, exciting and humouristic read! I avoided it for a long time but I’m so happy I finally decided to get to it! Definitely an amazing sci-fi!
- Little Fires Everywhere – I often have problems connected to slow-burning books. But this one took me completely by surprise! It’s so complex, emotional and exciting! I got completely absorbed in it. Plus it talks about adoption in a really different and hard-hitting way.
- Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief – This was one of the first books I ever reviewed on my blog, and since then a lot has changed – my writing, my way of thinking; everything. But what didn’t change was my love for these books. I literally binge-read the whole series plus the Heroes of Olympus, and they are some of my favorite books! I was definitely not expecting to get so engrossed in them, but they are so interesting and fun!!
- The Trials of Morrigan Crow – This is actually the most recent book in here and the reason I had to include it is because I wasn’t expecting to read it this soon at all. To be honest, it was a total cover buy, and I normally don’t go much for middle-grade. But I was in a reading slump and I was trying books until one made me start reading… And this one was the charm! It’s so fun and light and fantastic! It completely gripped me and I will for sure continue the series!
- City of Bones – So.. I was kinda late to the party when I finally read this, and I didn’t love it as much as I hoped I would have… I did for sure like them, and I absolutely love the world, but the characters felt a bit too young for me and after the third book I stopped. But they are slowly growing on me and I do intend to end the series since everyone says they get better. Let’s see! I’m still hoping I love them…
- Lord of the Flies – This is also quite a recent read for me. And the reason I decided to include it, is because I was hoping to love it and I didn’t. I did find it interesting and to be honest I can’t quite stop thinking about the meaning of the book, but the actual reading took me a LONG time and I often felt bored… So yeah, I liked it, but it was still a bit disappointing.
- History is All You Left Me – I so didn’t like this book. I just couldn’t get into it at all! It felt so boring to me and I was expecting to love it since everyone raves about it… And yeah that didn’t happen. Since then, I’ve been avoiding the author’s books, although I do own one more, so I guess eventually I will have to give it a try. Fingers crossed!
- Outlander – This one I can’t even… I really was expecting to love it but I stopped 40% of the way. I was just so bored! I’m actually sad I didn’t like this, but who knows… Maybe one day. I was REALLY expecting to love it.
What about you guys?? Have you read these books? What’s your opinion on them? Let’s talk in the comments below!